Friday, February 25, 2011

Weighing In

So today is Friday, which for most means excitement as they look forward to the weekend, but for me it means weigh-in day. Ever since I joined the gym a little over 1 month ago, I decided Fridays would be the day I would weigh myself to check my progress. Notice the word progress at the end of the last sentence? That's what I expect after my Friday workouts and the past 4 have shown me progress per the scale, but today was different. It must have been because I was already cutting my workout time due to waking up late and needing to be to the salon for an overdue cut and color in the next hour, but either way it was not what I expected. I've been down 1 pound every week for the past 4 weeks which is when I actually started keeping track and then today happened. So, I step on the old style scale at the gym, you know, the kind that has weights across the top that you move to see how much you weigh, then looked at the number and thought there must be some mistake. So, I stepped off, reset the numbers to 0 and stepped back on. Nope, no mistake, the number from last week was the same as this week. No change. DANG IT! O.K. I'm being dramatic, no doubt, but would have loved to see another pound dropped. The funny thing about this is I'm not even big on the number, but got so caught up in the joy of seeing actual results on the scale, that I suppose I get a little wrapped up in it. Oh and really, why am I being so dramatic anyways? After all, I did not gain. Or maybe I gained muscle. Yes that's gotta be it! No really, I am over it and will continue to keep on working toward my goal. My goal is really just wanting to fit into all of my normal jeans, but wouldn't mind being back to my pre-pregnancy weight which is a far 10 lbs away. That's one of the reasons I decided to join the gym. I wasn't getting the results as fast at home. I used to say that there is no time to go to the gym with kids, but to be honest, I find I have more time and energy for them now than I did before I was working out. Plus, I have that insurance where if I go 12X per month, they will pay $20 of my $35 monthly fee. So, now I must go at least 12X which is great motivation in itself. However, I signed a 18 mo contract, so I'm bound to reach my goal, right? Lets hope this motivation continues or my pocket book and jeans will be disappointed. Oh and in case you wonder why I picked Friday as my weigh-in day, it's because I figured I'd have all week to work off whatever Saturday and Sunday binges would bring!
So, the weight is probably one of the biggest obstacles that comes after having a baby. The next physical thing that affects me is all these thick luscious locks that accumulate during pregnancy, shedding in handfuls once old hormones decide to show up out of the wood work. I swear I could make a wig with all the long strands that I shed! One day my shower wall is bare and clean, and the next day, pow, it looks as if their was a bar brawl going on in the bathroom and the brunette lost. At least I got to know what it felt like to have thick hair. Now my plan is to grow it out, with maintenance trims every so often, and donate it to locks of love. I've done it once before and decided to go so drastically short that Dave barely recognized me. I don't think he would like me to go that short again, so I have to get it pretty long for them to get a decent amount and still leave me with a decent amount.
Well, I know it's only been 3.5 months since Brinlee was born, so I try and tell myself to be patient (not easy for me), and all will be back to normal in no time. But, I'm human and have expectations, which is good I suppose, as long as I remember that change does not happen overnight

2 comments:

  1. I am SO with you on the wanting everything to be back to normal again as far as pants sizes and weight. I started weight watchers immediately after my 6 week appointment and am now starting to work out too. I am doing Jillian Michaels 30-day shred video (except I am doing it every other day). Brutal. I am sore already and I only did it once. I have to be patient as well. Especially since I am breastfeeding, they say you can't lose too fast or it is bad for your milk quality and supply. Boo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always dreamed of being one of those people who fit back into my pre-prego jeans a week after the baby is born. One of my friends who just had a baby did. I was green with envy. For the rest of us who have to work hard at it . . . time, patience, dedication, and lots of hard work are the only answers.

    Stick with it, you'll get there eventually.

    ReplyDelete