Monday, March 12, 2012

Pins and Needles

As I have trialed many different options for the literal pain in my neck, I have found acupuncture to be a worth while therapeutic treatment. My first acupuncture treatment was at a chiropractor's office. I did not realize that there is a difference between acupuncture from someone who studied it for thousands of hours and someone who learned some pressure points at a weekend course. I just knew that the chiropractor was willing to do acupuncture on me prior to my adjustments. This was a time for me to relax. I would lie on a heated blanket with a few needles in my neck and rest. I always fell asleep and it was a time of peace and quiet for me. It was a little un-nerving to hear the chiropractor say that the needles were bending because they didn't want to go into my neck or that there were a couple that didn't want to come out of my neck, but to me anything that touches my neck feels good. I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to treatments to help ease my neck pain and thus am willing to try just about anything.
Upon switching my primary care doctor in desperation for answers and shedding enough tears to fill Lake Superior, he recommended a lady in Edina who does acupuncture. He had high praises for her since she had helped him and his wife with fertility issues. I was quite hesitant at first since Edina is 1 hour away and the chiropractor who does acupuncture is only 15 minutes away. I really thought acupuncture is acupuncture, right? I didn't quite understand the need to drive so many miles if someone close did what I thought was the same thing. I did however need to find a new person to perform my acupuncture because the chiropractor I was seeing had not given adequate documentation to my insurance company regarding my treatment, leaving me without any option, but to seek treatment elsewhere. Funny how someone who tells me that I have one of the worst necks she's ever treated in someone my age has no problem neglecting to provide the proper paperwork required for me to continue my treatment. Anyways, I was looking forward to seeing the doctor in Edina who's specialized in acupuncture and who was a professor who also taught this ancient healing treatment.
The drive to Edina was no doubt a long one. I was pleased to meet a sweet and caring lady who really showed concern regarding my issues. I found out quickly that this was not like the acupuncture I had experienced in the past. She looked at my tongue and checked my pulse, which is something that all people who specialize in acupuncture will do on the initial consultation. This was not done by the chiropractor. She looked at my tongue and gave me a wide eyed concerning look and then said, "Ohhh, ohhh!" I had no idea why the concern over my tongue. Her notes were written in Chinese, but at least she was writing notes! She put in at least 20 needles throughout my neck, 4 times the amount the chiropractor used, and then a couple in my ankles and wrists. She placed a heat lamp on my neck, dimmed the lights, and soothing music played in the background. I quickly shut my mind off. I wasn't driving 60 minutes to not take full advantage of this situation. I fell asleep shortly after she left and an hour later she came to wake me. When I stood up, I felt weightless, as if the tension had been completely removed from my neck, shoulders, and head. To be honest, I wasn't sure if I should drive! This was better than a massage and better than the so-called acupuncture I had in the past. I found that my headaches decreased. The tension and pain came back not too long after my treatment, but at least I now have something that helps to decrease it when it becomes unbearable.
After doing research, I found a lady in Rogers who specializes in acupuncture and am now getting treatment at her office. I wanted to go to someone closer so that I could make the visits more often. Coincidentally, she was taught by the wonderful doctor in Edina! After she looked at my tongue, I asked her what she saw. She said that a tongue like mine, which has so many cracks, is usually seen in someone who is aged or older. She also says it can mean high anxiety, which makes sense.
Acupuncture is amazing! It somehow relaxes my muscles and recharges the signals in my body. I wish I could have acupuncture done everyday. Its truly a great alternative and I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment