Saturday, October 8, 2011

Keep Your Head Up!

I'm not gonna lie, I've not been on here because emotionally and physically I haven't been feeling great and didn't want to be a "debby downer." Then, as things started to look up, I was crazy busy planning Dave, my mom's, and my Birthday party. It was a lot of fun with a great turn out and I am so very thankful for all the family and friends who came out to help us celebrate. We were very overwhelmed with the generosity of everyone. It's very heartwarming after being in the dumps to feel the love of so many! It's times like that when you realize how fortunate you really are. We got to see people we haven't seen in a while and be surrounded by people who really make your positive energy flow.

It frustrates me to think that I allow people who don't have such an influence on me, to control much of my happiness. You know when you give advice to others having a rough relationships (whether these relationships be friends, family, co-workers, acquaintances) and you say, "Do you really want them to be your friend or in your life if they would treat you that way?" Well, I fully believe that this advice makes total and complete sense and I believe it to my core. Many times have expressed those words to others needing comfort. Yet, I find myself having a hard time letting go of the feelings that have pulled me down to a pit over the type of people who really don't share positive, caring, and kind words or actions. I suppose it goes back to the days when I was so very naive and thought that everyone in this world was kind and if they weren't then it was merely because they were having a bad day. Surely that is the case many, if not most of the time for people. You have a bad day and may say things or do things that you later feel bad about. However, there comes a point in life when you realize that there are people out there who on a day to day basis express negativity. It's not just a bad day for them, but a way of life. It's a hard thing to swallow that there are people who thrive on bringing others down, who only care about themselves. People who likely did not have it easy at a time in there life and have since not been able to get out of a rut that can suck the life and energy out of those around them.
I have never been the type to surround myself with these people because it's just not healthy. Have you ever been around someone who lightens up a room simply just by being there? Someone who you trust, someone who is almost more happy than you when you have good news? I actually have a co-worker like this. She is loved by all, has never said a bad thing about anyone, and just makes you feel at ease when you are in there presence. That is the type of person I strive to be and that is the kind of person I like to be around and for the most part am around. Why is it that one or maybe even two bad apples can ruin the entire bag of apples? And, why are these people so toxic? Why doesn't the many, many wonderfully amazing people over-ride such crap. I am still trying to prove this unfortunate reality wrong. In the end, we all know that those people who care about you are all that matter. Maybe I'm having a hard time actually letting go of the naive girl inside of me who wants to believe that there really is good in the bad.

3 comments:

  1. Amy, I think YOU are one of those people who brighten the room just by being there. You are one of the nicest, sweetest, kindest and most caring people I have ever met and I'm glad to have you as my cousin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy~ I agree with your cousin. I have always thought that you light up a room when you walk in. You always have a smile on your face and bring out the best of those people around you. I also have a hard time with those people who are always in a bad mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amy,
    I agree with the above....I miss your smile! Don't know what or who got you so down, but it isn't worth it. Just be who you are......keep the positive attitude, great work ethic, lovely Mom and all around great person.
    Hugs, Sharon N

    ReplyDelete