Sunday, May 6, 2012

Locks of Love

Two and a half years ago I received news that my Aunt Kelly was diagnosed with cervical cancer, stage 3 if I remember correctly. She is my step-mom, Patti's, only sister and they lost their mother at an early age to breast cancer. It's one of those moments in life when you aren't sure what to do. You feel helpless and want to make everything better. I was optimistic. My step-mom, however, must have put herself back to the time her mother battled and knew all to well the realities of this horrible disease.
Patti wants as much time with her as possible and tries to make the time fun. We've had a pajama party and put together a giant basket full of goodies for her, spent a day at the Holiday Inn water park, and went to Nickelodeon World.
From the moment we found out about the cancer, I knew I wanted to grow my hair out for Locks of Love. I've done it before so I knew it could be done again. As the time grew near to a desirable length, I started to think of ways that I could make it more of a tribute to Kelly. Her Birthday was Sunday, April 21st, and I was more than ready to cut my hair the couple weeks prior. I had the Thursday before her Birthday off and was able to get an appointment with my stylist. I talked to Kelly and found out she was free that day. Perfect! My plan could be set in place. I went over to Kelly's that morning and we were ready for the 10 inch pony cut. As part of her Birthday present, my plan was to have her cut the pony that would be donated. I would then go to my stylist to get a styled cut and color.



My sister, her son Tyler, my Lilah, and Brinlee all came for the fun! A while back, I was told that the size of a comb is 10 inches so I started using that as my guide, only to realize that the safest and best bet would be to get the handy tape measure that Kelly had readily available. Thank goodness we did, because the comb was close to 2 inches shorter than 10. Could you imagine cutting an 8 inch pony instead of the 10 needed for donation?!


As I said earlier, I was pumped and ready for this haircut. Kelly was excited too, but also nervous. She took her time and said, "Well there's no turning back now!"


When she cut through the last hairs, I could feel the weight lifted. It felt great! I still had a good amount of hair to work with, so it wasn't as drastic as some might expect.


It was one of the most fun things I have ever done! I couldn't stop smiling. My final cut and color turned out better that I anticipated and I got way more compliments than I did the last time I cut off 10 inches. Not to mention, who would think that hair could make such a big deal. Well, I'm sure if you would ask anyone who has went through chemo, they would tell you how big of a deal hair can be. But, in the end of course, it wasn't about the hair. It was really about doing something for someone in a unique and special way. Giving a gift to someone that can make a difference in more ways than one. It was about creating a memory that I will never ever forget.
Kelly is now battling with the cancer that has moved to her lungs and she has recently stated that the doctor's give her 12-18 months. She has decided that she wants to live without the side effects of chemo which would not prolong her life at this point anyways. What can you say? It is overwhelming to think. So, we do what we should and pray. We pray for comfort and peace through it all and of course, pray for a cure to end this never ending battle that disrupts too many lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment