Thursday, November 3, 2011

Spooktacular Fun

Halloween this year was spooktacular! I know, I'm a dork! Can't help it. We started the season getting the most delicious apples around at Deer Lake Orchard. One of my favorite things about fall are eating Honey Crisp apples. Yummy! The kids and I made caramel apples. They were great helpers and enjoyed eating them as much as me.



Of course we also had to decorate and carve pumpkins. I wasn't sure if they were ready for carving, but the lady at the pumpkin stand thought they would do well. We started off with painting them, since I was still leery about them carving. However, when Dave and I started carving out pumpkins, they insisted on doing it too. With some guidance they actually did quite well.







Our next adventure took place at my friend Sarah's Halloween party. It was last Friday night and was a ton of fun. They had my friend's husband dj, a keg, and pulled pork. There were lots of friends that I haven't seen in a very long time. Dave any I dressed as hippies. It took me 3 hours to pick a Halloween costume while in a overtired daze searching countless "hoe" outfits online. I am totally fine with anybody who wants to wear skimpy costumes, but it would be nice if there was more of a variety for those of us who would feel a lot more comfortable in something that covered our bootys. Also, this is Minnesota and I freeze enough in jeans and a sweatshirt, so lets be realistic and cater to those of us who want to feel relaxed. OK that's my rant. I am very happy that I found something for the fun festivities. The next night we went to another friend of mines Halloween party and had a great time there too!



Then came the night the kids have been waiting for...trick or treating. I love seeing the kids in their costumes and the excitement of the big night! Thankfully my mom always comes to help and Ethan comes too. We bundled Brinlee up and she tagged along in the stroller. Mason decided to be Bumblebee Transformer, which I announced as Bumblebee TUNA as I videoed him. Yep, I totally called him TUNA instead of transformer!  Lilah was Minnie Mouse and she was very happy to be her as she said, "I'm cute!" (She gets her confidence from her dad!) Brinlee was a grey and pink leopard/cheetah and Ethan was a Scream. His mask was very neat and he could squirt "blood" through it which dripped down his mask face. The kids did a great job holding up through all the houses we went too. Mason constantly asked when we were going home because he wanted to eat his treats. He didn't quite get the concept of the more houses we go to, the more treats you get to eat. He didn't get antsy though and kept a positive attitude the whole way. He even started to switch his voice to sound scary when getting to the doors! Lilah fell about 2/3 of the way and then had a melt down which led to the "I can't walk" drama. That's her new thing. If she's upset, she will say things like, "My tummy hurts. My head hurts. I can't walk." Can be quite frustrating, especially when you really don't have much of a choice but to carry her the final 1/3 of the way or leave her on the grass of a neighbors yard as she throws a major tantrum. Maybe when she turns 3 in January, this terrible 2 business will end. I can hope, right? Brinlee did very well in the stroller and ended up falling asleep for some of the way. All in all it was a great time!





No comments:

Post a Comment